Technology at Central
What’s happening in computer class at Central Christian?
Kindergarten and 1st grade learn to control the mouse and get familiar with the keyboard. The students learn these tasks by playing task oriented games on the computer.
2nd – 6th grade learn to type using the program Mavis Beacon. They move along at their own pace. Starting in 3rd grade, we cover the hands so the students have to learn to type by feel. This way of learning the keyboard is giving them more confidence, and they will be great typist when they finish!
How do we stay safe online?
This question is and should be in the forefront of our minds if we use technology in any form. Our focus today is a strong password.
- Strong passwords – our first line of defense in keeping our information safe
- Make sure you are using a combination of letters, upper and lower, numbers, and special characters if allowable
- Passwords should be at least 8 characters long
- Change passwords often
- Use a different password for each website you access
- Make your passwords easy to guess
- No pets names
- No family names
- No birthdates
- No addresses or phone numbers
- No social security numbers
- Share your password with anyone
- Leave your password written on a sticky note under your keyboard
Creating a good password can be easy and even fun! Use a phrase that you can remember and create your password. For example: The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain! – Tr1Ssm1tp! – first letter from each word, vowels become numbers and we have a password that meets the requirements of upper and lowercase letters, numbers and a special character!